With Spring Break around the corner, we thought it would be a good time for you to brush up on how to care for your braces and retainers while away from home. We are thrilled that you are able to take a break from work and school, but please remember it is not a time to take a break from your orthodontic plan. We’ve outlined a few reminders and tips that will come in handy next month:
Keep a small waterproof bag of essentials with you whether you are on a ski vacation or living it up on the beach this Spring Break. Here are a few items that you will find useful to have on hand:
- fluoride rinse (and, of course, your toothbrush)
- orthodontic wax
- rubber bands (if necessary)
If you are wearing a retainer, here are a few tips to keep it safe:
- When you are not wearing your retainer, ALWAYS keep them in your retainer case in the same place in your house.
- Do not wrap retainers in a paper towel or a napkin, this is the easiest way to lose them.
- Do not keep retainers in your pocket—this is an easy way to break it.
- Dogs LOVE retainers. Keep yours away from pets!
- Clean your retainers by holding them carefully and brushing with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
If you are wearing Invisalign, remember 22 hours per day! And don’t forget your Acceledent. The Acceledent helps reduce your treatment time – so remember change those aligners every 7 days!
At Graber Orthodontics, we want to help you achieve your best smile. It is important to stay on plan even during vacation breaks so we can help you achieve your best smile as quickly as possible. One last tip – have fun!